Honor: Individuality and Chocolate Caramels because they are both the prize of the box!
“Life is like a box of chocolates: You never know what you are going to get.”
Except, you know they will all be chocolate coated. So, you know a little bit; don’t you? (With life too.) You know there will be good times and bad times; you just hope that the good will out weigh the bad. Just like the box of chocolates, most of us hope to avoid the coconut ones, while secretly hoping for the Carmel.
I have been thinking about the weight of things lately. My son weighs consequences versus the short-term worth, that the action will mean to him. My daughter seems to place more weight on things than she needs too: with a daily dose of anxiety! I tend to weight different things than my husband as priorities. In general, the importance of things is such a personal preference yet we treat it like it should be a societal norm. We tend to think of things as common sense or something everyone feels the same about.
The reality is no one feels exactly the same about anything. We all say it is common sense to value education but we all do so for different reasons and in different ways. I value education and feel it is one of the most important things a person can get for themselves, yet, I dislike the lack of individuality in the public school system. The molding of our young children to fit in or be outcast, concerns me.
I wish I could say it always concerned me but that simply is not true. My daughter fit in. She was never the outcast according to the school system. She thought, behaved and functioned within the mold without struggle. I never questioned the mold or its stifling side effect because I never had a reason to.
Then my son came along. He is not the norm. He doesn’t function within the confines of the masses. He beats his own drum and likes it. He is smart, creative, and loving while maintaining his wild side. I love it. Unfortunately, it results in a horrible time at school. He is disruptive when he fidgets and plays at his desk, I get it. I am still sad to try to force him to conform.
Over time, I have realized that my daughter really isn’t the conformist I thought she was either. She is just shy and really introverted. She has her own drum too, but she keeps the dancing inside most of the time. I love her drum too. She shines bright and beckons others to see the brighter side of things. It is awesome.
I think there are no conformist but rather people who practice discernment with their drums and people who don’t.
So basically, I would like to honor the individuality that we all share either introspectively or outwardly. We all have unique thoughts, feels and ideas and not one of us are exactly the same. I celebrate this idea and embrace it. I hope we as a society learn to educate the masses with individuality at the core instead of mass produced standards.
This post is in response to today’s daily prompt:
October 16th is officially declared “Person X Day” — and you get to pick Person X. Tell us about someone who deserves to be commemorated.
Photographers, artists, poets: show us HONOR.
Here are some other great posts:
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | NU VORBI, SCRIE!
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Shine Bright
- Honorific | JC Bride ~
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | મન ની વાત
- Michelle W. Is A Genius. | The Jittery Goat
- WordPress Family Award | I’m just Super Saiyan
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Being a Huntress
- Honorific – David Attenborough Day | Geek Ergo Sum
- in honour of my late nana | wannabepoet
- I love my grandfather. | luvsiesous
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Awl and Scribe
- Off Target on Poppy Selling | DCMontreal: Blowing the Whistle on Society
- Everyone deserves to be honored | Motherhood and Beyond
- Persons X | Hope* the happy hugger
- 199. A Day for Her | Barely Right of Center
- In Honour | Dear Yolandi
- Person X Day | Kansa Muse on Micro Farming and More
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Today We Celebrate Person Xmas Day! | Rob’s Surf Report
- The kids are alright | The verbal hedge
- Pawesome Mama! | Haiku By Ku
- The Unknown Blogger | Blognovic’s Weblog
- “Honorific” | Relax
- The Beautiful Face Of Breast Cancer | scribbleglitch
- Honorific | ashwitaashok
- Memories of the Sweet-Seller | Processing the life
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Completely Disappear
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | Ruminations from an Introvert
- Nisargidatta Maharaj | Spirit Lights The Way
- My First Boyfriend | alienorajt
- honorific | hitting a brick wall
- Daily Prompt: Honorific | My Atheist Blog
- I present to you | The Land Slide Photography
- Honorific | Lost in Adeline’s
- ALL ARE HEROES | Emotional Fitness
- Words, Meaning and Alchemy…(wp daily prompt) | Daily Observations
- Daily Prompt: Shiro | Saindo da SêMente
- Honorific | The Nameless One